Sunday, March 23, 2008

Why White Balance is Important

Six months ago, I wouldn't have known the answer to that question, even though I took a college level photography class.

Today, however, I do know. This is why:


Today I had my first paying job as a "photographer", haha! I took pictures of kids with the Easter Bunny today at the hotel's Easter brunch. It was a pretty easy job, snapping photos and printing them off. I used my own camera because the hotel's camera (a Kodak Easy Share POS) is a joke. Even though mine is just a little digital point and shoot also, I've got it set on Manual, I know how to set the white balance to adjust for the crappy lighting in our dim ass lobby, and I have a pretty dang steady hand so the flash is not needed, resulting in photos with much better coloring and lighting.

Not that anyone cared, as we were doing it for free. But I cared.

Anyway, I was feeling silly, so I made my husband an Easter basket this year. I wanted to snap a picture of it before I gave it to him. Unfortunately, because I remembered about it right after a nap, I wasn't really paying attention, and I forgot to reset it for the bright sunlight that was coming through the window. When I went to upload the picture, I realized immediately what I had done.

Dang it. At least it wasn't a very important photo!

I messed with it in Photoshop, and it's a bit better.

But not as good as if I had just set it properly in the first place. The foreground is more true to life but the background is grainy as hell. Ah well.

In other news, my body is no longer able to stand all day long and be okay. I've been at the hotel for just over a year now, and therefore away from retail for just over a year, and all that desk work has gotten me soft! I was so exhausted when I got home, I crashed for about three hours, and when I got up, I hurt. From my feet, all the way up my legs and thighs, and my back too. I don't know how I ever did it before!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails