Sunday, March 09, 2008

This post brought to you by the color RED.

As in, red velvet!

That's right, it's Sunday night again and you can guess what I've been up to.

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I've never made red velvet before, and all I could think about was someone on Two Peas saying, all that red dye has to come out somewhere. YIKES!!


At this point, I was thinking of calling them Crime Scene Cupcakes as the batter was very thin and very red.


This is another recipe I got from Bake & Destroy, who gave credit to Paula Deen. The woman knows her stuff, I have to say, because these came out AWESOME. I did have to add a LOT more sugar than the recipe called for the icing, because it was no where stiff enough to be piped, but other than that, it was smooth sailing.

I piped the icing on top with a #12 round tip, and then sprinkled them with some red sugar. That seems to be the most popular garnish when I make these.

I thought I'd take a picture of my scary bottle of vanilla. The label is all discolored from drips, and I've cracked the plastic lid (it snaps on rather than screws on), but it's fabulous. Best vanilla EVER!

Oh, what's that in the background, you ask?

That would be my shiny new KitchenAid mixer! I've wanted one of these since I was seventeen years old, and now I finally have to to call my very own! My husband went and got me one today at Costco, and I broke it in with the red velvet. How appropriate, am I right? I could just sit and admire it, but I won't, well, because that's weird.
It will make whipping up that scary Wilton icing a snap though! WOOT!

Finally, I leave you with a new picture of my hair. I quit straightening it, and have just let it do it's own thing. I like it like this better, but I'm still not crazy over it. It's still bad "mom" hair to me, and I think it makes my head look fatter. Ah well, it will grow out.


Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh WoW do those look good! Yum!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Lida said...

Those cupcakes look very yummy, want to try to make red velvet, love your kitchen aid mixer is so cool!
And ur hair looks very cute, embrace the curl! Wish I had the nerve to straighten mine.

11:20 AM  
Blogger justem said...

yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!

those look soooo good!

my frosting never looks that cool...i need a cake decorating kit!

you look FAB in the photo!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ohhhhhh drool! Yumminess, the cupcakes AND your new Kitchenaid!! Is congratulations appropriate? HeeHee.
I'm SO jealous you have a RED bowl lift, mine is black. At the time I purchased mine there was no red available in the bowl lift. *sniff, sniff* Your hair is cute, Mom hair rocks...seriously. ;) :)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Ryzmomplus2 said...

those cupcakes look delish! And I noticed that Target wire rack! I have mine in my scraproom

4:13 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I love how great your cupcakes look! I've tried to do the frosting like that on mine and they just never come out right!! They look delicious!! :)

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails