Thursday, August 09, 2007

Pearly

Facts about me:

*I used to go watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show at least once a month. I took rice and toilet paper and all that good stuff, but never dressed up.

*I used to work at a bead store, and I taught jewelry making classes.

* I have a tendency to be very organized and put things away for safekeeping. Unfortunately, some items get put away TOO safely and I forget about them for YEARS.

A few weeks ago, I was cleaning off the top of the armoire in the bedroom because I wanted to put my husband's old boom box/stereo up there. It was really dusty because I am really bad about remembering to dust in the bedroom!

I have this really old puzzle box that my uncle brought me from Turkey when I was five years old. The lock doesn't work anymore, because it was dropped a few times, but I still keep it anyway. It's this really neat carved wood and it houses odd treasures, such as coins from all over the world and all my baby teeth (gross huh?).

Anyway, when I was dusting up there, I pulled the box down and started trying to clean in all the little carved crevices. I opened up the box to look inside, and I found some old jewelry that I had made when I worked at the bead store.

Here's the thing about working in a bead store - it's pretty damn boring. Most of the day you are in there with just your other co-workers, and you can only dust or straighten things for so long. That's when you start to make stuff, even if you're told not to work on personal projects in the store. You just say it's for a class. (bad, bad)

Anywho, my friend and I went to go watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show one weekend. I hadn't seen it in years, and it was loads of fun. I have a tendency to be inspired for jewelry making after watching certain movies (you should see my "Married to the Mob" earrings) and so I got the idea to make a giant pearl necklace, a la Dr. Frank-N-Furter (could Tim BE any hotter in that movie? Sweet transvestite INDEED.) at work the following week.

I never wore it, outside that day that I made it. It was too big, too gaudy. Instead, I tucked it away in my puzzle box where it sat forgotten the past four years.

Forgotten, that is, until last week. Oh, and what's in style now? That's right, big, gaudy, beaded jewelry. So, on a whim, I busted out this bad boy and wore it to work, where I got a bunch of compliments on it.

So thank you Dr. Frank-N-Furter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails