Monday, September 06, 2010

Getting Ready for Fall

Every day now, I'm bombarded with status messages on Twitter and Facebook saying stuff like "It's like someone flipped a switch and all of a sudden it's cooling off!" and "Time to put away the summer clothes and get out the cardigans!" and "Hooray! Pumpkin Spice Lattes!" Now, seeing as how it's still around 105 - 110 degrees here and will be for another month, these status updates are super depressing. Sure, I can have Pumpkin Spice too, but I have to get it as a Frappuccino - which, incidentally, I don't mind. It's just the principle of the thing.

This year, I decided, screw it. I'm going to pretend it's fall and celebrate just like the rest of the country. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some pumpkins for my mantel. I picked up a bag of glitter skulls (only $5 for a eight!) at Kirkland's Home. My wreath has been on the door for almost a month now, and I've had Pumpkin Spice TWICE so far.

Take THAT, stupid desert!

One of the things I did was to swing on over to one of the local scrapbook stores. They've converted a big chunk of the store and now carry the CUTEST fabrics for quilting. I'm talking all the fun Moda and Amy Butler stuff I never see at JoAnn or the quilting store by my house. They've got all the supplies, notions, and they even offer classes. Fabric AND scrapbooking stuff under one roof? Yeah. It's a very happy place for me, that's for certain.

I picked out some Halloween fabrics, and made this:

It's the latest in my series of mini table runners. (Here is a photo with another) I don't like table cloths (I just think about all the grime and bacteria they hold, right by my food, yum) and I think full table runners that hang off the table look funny. I wanted something that could visually anchor whatever I chose as a centerpiece though, and a place mat was not the right size. These are my compromise.

That is the most complicated quilt block I've made to date, and I don't think I'll be doing it again. All those little pieces made me crazy! I don't know how people do it for whole blankets. I found the pattern here. It would have been nice if it had told me what the dimensions to cut were because adding the seam allowances was a pain. I'm not the best when it comes to math, and there's a good amount of math in quilting.

I topped it with my black amethyst glass bowl full of the glitter skulls. As soon as they get mini pumpkins in at the grocery store I'm going to add in some of those as well. I like how it says "Halloween!" with out being all cartoony or cheesy and jack-o'-lantern-y. The backing is a burgundy and orange leaf print that will be perfect for Thanksgiving. All I'll have to do is flip it over!

Me being me, which means me being math deficient, when I cut out the pieces for my squares I ended up with extras. Not wanting to waste the fabric, I decided to finish cutting the pieces I needed to make a second runner. This is what it looks like when I'm working:

Ah, the trials of the crafty mama, I tell ya!

The plan was to list the second runner on my Shop page, but I ran into a little problem:

Yeah. If that's not the definition of poor planning, I don't know what is. I can't just go and get more fabric either because it's a holiday and the store is closed. Bummer. Once it's done though, you can look for it in the shop!

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Don't be depressed about the weather. Those of us with cool weather now will be depressed when we have a few feet of snow and you don't!
That runner looks awesome! Great job! I've
Never seen a pattern without seam allowances figured in. That would have given me a headache. You can get some great free patterns at moda bakeshop. There's probably a runner or two! I'm also impressed you can sew when bubba is awake! All my sewing has to be done while the child sleeps, she won't tolerate it. :(

5:02 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

I have a cross stitch that I have been trying to finish for about TEN years for my grandmother. When I was on the very last name on the very last square of the entire project, I put it in the wrong place. So I took it out, but then realized I didn't have any more thread of the right color. It has taken me TWO YEARS to find some that will work...I was SO close to being finished and a seemingly small mistake turned into a HUGE mistake...Ugh.

Anyway, I love the table runners! I'm afraid of quilting, but maybe this would be a project I could try--then I'd know if I like it or not without adding a huge project to my UP (unfinished projects) mountain!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Mark, Shannon,Trey, Boston, & Lola said...

LOVE it!!!! I have a pattern very similar that I am suppose to be starting on for fall--its quilting style as well which I have never done before lol so I'm a little nervous

7:18 PM  
Blogger Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

So cute- love it!!

Oh and while it is cooling off up here, I am not one bit happy about it. Because when you are getting spring weather in March, I will still be getting snowstorms. I get sad just thinking about our six months of winter.

9:08 PM  
Blogger One Day said...

I am ready for the weather to cool down some!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That little runner is adorable! Sorry about your mishap on the other one. Pumpkin Spice Lattes are my favorite! I just ordered an iced cup last week. Yummy! You would think living here my whole life I would be used to the heat...nope, I hate blazing temps in the fall!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

Wow! Sooooo cool. You are amazing. I love it! The bowl of glittery heads on top is an excellent touch.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails