Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend Thrifting

Saturday I woke up ridiculously early, so we decided to head on over to the Farmer's Market. Last weekend we trekked out to the one in downtown Phoenix. It was okay, but I wasn't under the impression that it was worth the extra long drive. This weekend we decided that we would just head up to the one in Scottsdale where we were going before. This would have been a great plan, except that upon doing a little research (thank goodness for research!) we discovered that it was closed for the season.

Reason #120894 that Phoenix sucks in August? All the dang Farmer's Markets close down! Isn't the end of summer supposed to be prime bounty time? We thought we were getting lucky when we saw that there was another market in a nearby stadium. We headed over there with visions of fresh produce in our heads only to find about 15 booths in a breezeway. It was sad. We didn't buy one thing there!

I didn't want the drive to Scottsdale to be a total waste, so we decided to hit the thrift shops that dot Scottsdale Road. There are two Goodwills, a Boys and Girls Club one, and a Salvation Army one. There is also usually a little flea market that happens in the parking lot of some antique malls, but that was not there that day either.

When you have insomnia, like I do, and you run on a later schedule than most of the world, like Bubba and I do, you start to take certain things for granted. For instance, it's never too early for a store to be open. They just ARE. Can I tell you how frustrated I was on Saturday when I found myself on the wrong side of 9 am and everything was closed still? Grr. Still, we hung out and waited for them to open and I managed to find a few things.

This milk glass compote I bought for 35 cents at a Salvation Army a few months ago. It's not the type I usually collect, but I bought it for the sole fact that it's design matches the cake pedestal we received as a gift exactly.

Oh, and it was 35 cents. That factored into the decision as well. :) Here's the cake pedestal:

See? The base is the same, it's the same opaque white, and if you look at the underside of the pedestal, it has the same little raised teardrop design. (ooh, let's take a minute to admire the collection of Anchor Hocking bubble bowls from the 1940's too. *sigh*) The cake pedestal was made by a company called Indiana Glass in several different colors. I tell you, if I see one in black for under $20 I'm snatching that bad boy up!

Back to the compote - the thing that struck me as odd about mine was that it had these strange notched fins on the inside. What on Earth could they be for? Well, after reading the archives on Eddie Ross's blog, and some perusal on Etsy, I found out: this is actually part of a set of three. There is a larger one and a smaller one that goes with it.

On Saturday I found the small one at a Goodwill for three bucks. Aw, yeah! And those fins?

They support the base of the next size so you can stack them! How pretty is this going to look full of flowers as a centerpiece for something???

Now I just need to find the big one that will be the base. I did come across one in clear glass that matched these (apparently they made them from different materials) but I didn't pick it up. I did pick up these instead:

at my local St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop. It's a set of six 4 1/2 inch Williams Sonoma tart pans with the removable bottoms. They're brand new, with the stickers still on them, and they set me back a whopping three dollars. I also found a set of four lovely cream colored linen napkins that had a binding/border of a slightly darker taupe-y brown around the edges for $2, but I didn't remember to get a picture before I tossed them into the wash.

I have to say, I'm pretty proud that almost every thing you see in this photo was found for an absolute bargain at either a thrift or antique shop! It makes it feel more like an accomplishment of which I can be proud rather than just some stuff I bought.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Oh, that is my life the "It's too early for anything to be open". lol

You find the best things! How do you deal with your OCD when you go into these thrift stores. The overwhelming amount of stuff often stresses me out and i can't dig because I've got agita. And I don't have OCD! Maybe it's because I'm not looking for something specific?

9:58 AM  
Blogger how i met your father blog said...

soooo cute!! where do you find these thrift stores???

i'm a new follower, love your blog! stop by and enter my giveaway howimetyourfatherblog.blogspot.com

10:35 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

I love your collection, it always strikes me as so beautiful. I fear I'd just look like a random hoarder if I ever tried to start one. Not focused enough.

10:47 AM  
Blogger One Day said...

Great finds! Looking around thrift shops is so fun!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never go shopping at thrift stores but I really really really want to!! Maybe you can make me an easy list of your favorites?? please, please. :)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

I hear ya. The lack of farmer's markets this season is a huge bummer. Even the ones that are still open are flat and half empty. Just another reason fall should come sooner.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails