Thursday, June 09, 2005

Momma's Dog

Yesterday, my Gidget pooped on my husband.

Backstory:

When my husband and I first moved in together, I took in three stray kittens with the plans of weaning them and finding them homes. My husband became attached to one so we kept him. That cat was his shadow. Everywhere my husband went, that cat was right there with him. If I had the nerve to sit too close to my husband on the couch, the cat would wedge his body in between us. If my husband was on the computer, that cat was on his lap. They slept together. The cat got the nickname "Kitty Co-Dependent".

Of course, I was jealous. I had been lobbying for a puppy, because I wanted a pet of my own. When we got the cat, my husband told me that a puppy just wasn't going to happen, sorry. He felt that a cat AND a puppy were just too much.

So, I got another cat. One of the strays had a kitten and I started feeding them by my door. I would leave the door open while they ate, and eventually the kitten would come inside. One day I shut the door and I had another cat.

This cat was supposed to be MY cat. She was supposed to do all the things for me that Kitty (yes, his real name) did for my husband. Well, Katie (K.T. for Kitty Two) didn't get that memo apparently. The only person she liked in our house was the other cat. I tried bribing her with treats and toys and affection, but she wasn't into it. I was sad.

Well, then Kitty got sick, and we had to have him put down. As much as he was my husband's cat, I still loved the little bugger, and I was terribly sad. Katie started to finally warm up to us a bit now that he was gone, but still, she wasn't MY cat, if that makes sense.

We got engaged. I picked out my ring from one of those Gold and Silver Jewelry kiosks at the mall. I didn't want a real diamond, being as that I am clumsy as all get out. That would be all I need, to accidentally whack my hand against something, knock the diamond out, and there went not only the sentimental value but thousands of dollars as well. No thank you!

But see, I was smart about it. I said, I'll take this cheap ring BUT I want a puppy! At first, my husband said no, but then I guess he thought about it and decided what the heck. In the long run, it was cheaper for him. The only catch was that I had to wait until after the wedding, and I was okay with that.

A week and a half after the wedding, I brought home my 3 lb bundle of Yorkie love, Leila. She was so cute and tiny and I loved every bit of her. She grew up, and she loved us and interacted with us both, but she never was really attached to either one of us. She loved us both equally it seemed. Lately though, I can tell she's been favoring the husband. Little booger.

Last Christmas, I was offered another Yorkie. I had expressed interest in getting a second dog after Katie got sick and had to be put down (It's hard to lose two pets that close together) so that Leila would have a playmate. Husband said absolutely NOT. I declined the offer for the dog, citing poor finances and an angry spouse. No, I was told, I had misunderstood. The dog was FREE. I just had to drive across town to pick her up that night.

Now, you just don't turn down a FREE $1000 dog. You don't. Especially not if you have been wanting one for a while, and this is the EXACT breed you desired. So I took a chance and said sure, I'll take her.

I had a friend go with me to pick her up, because I figured if I came home with a witness he couldn't kill me, right? While we were at it, we stopped at another friend's house and they both came with us to protect me from the Wrath of the Husband.

Oh, he was mad. He told me to take her back. I said no. He made the Angry Face at me. I ignored it.

In the end, he grew to love her too. But here's the best part...

After the first 3 1/2 months of living here and pretty much being oblivious to us except when she wanted food or a belly rub, she's become my shadow. She scratches at the bathroom door to be let in while I am in there, she follows me around the apartment, she sleeps curled up next to me in bed. She allows me to put the cute barrettes and bows in her hair that Leila despises and takes out. She behaves wonderfully in public and I can take her places with me because she is tiny and calm.

I finally have MY pet.

She proved it yesterday in the car.

We were all going to take Dad (my husband) to work. Gidget likes to ride in my lap. Well, all of a sudden, she gets up, and crosses over to the passenger seat and sits on my husband's lap. I was like, you traitorous little dog!!! Then my husband shouts "OH NO!!!"

Turns out, she had a bit of a belly ache and had to poo REALLY bad. I look over and she had gone watery, smelly poo all over my husbands khakis! HA!

Luckily we were only 2 blocks from home, so we turned around so he could change. But he said that if I ever wanted proof that she was my dog, the fact that she opted to leave my lap to go in his was all the proof that HE needed!

Man, I love that dog!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMFAO!!! That is hilarious!

scrappincrazy

9:05 PM  
Blogger The Knotty Girl said...

HA! I love it. Its the best feeling in the world to have a dog that is just YOURS. :)

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funniest story EVER!! Mama's dog for sure!

9:08 PM  
Blogger *krystyn* said...

OMG-a hilarious story! This dog is most definitely YOURS.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails