Monday, October 10, 2011

Come and Sit A Spell!

Did you know that Home Depot has a scrap bin? It's usually located somewhere in the lumber department, and everything in it has green spray paint on one end, so that cashier knows it's a remnant. Best part? Everything in the bin is fifty two cents, regardless of the size. That is some CHEAP wood!

Last time I was in there I picked out a section of 1" x 4" from the bin. It was four feet long, so when I got home I sawed it in half. I'll be able to paint two signs for my holiday decor for about a quarter each! Not too shabby!

I started with this one for the shelf behind the couch. Very appropriate, n'est-ce pas? I used the same technique that I used on my bedtime routine canvas, only instead of spray painting it I went over it with acrylic paint. Um... BAD IDEA. The paint was too wet so the cardstock letters started to break down and fall apart. This made them a pain to remove. Also, they bled a LOT so I had to touch up almost every letter. Lesson learned!

I outlined the spider with some Crystal Stickles and just set it on the shelf. It's wide enough that it sits just fine on it's own. I like it! I still have the other piece left too so I can make one for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Kick butt.

I've linked this post to:

HookingupwithHoH

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa @ A Dozen Years Later said...

I love the Home Depot scrap bin. I picked up a piece the last time I was in there and need to get working on a sign :)

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails