Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Self Regulation

Today as I was getting out of the shower, the boy leaned his head around the corner from where he was sitting and said, "Hey Mom! Whatcha doing?"

I said, "I'm getting out of the shower. What are you doing?"

He said, "Oh, I in time out," before putting his head back around the corner.

Curious, I called out,"Why are you in time out?" because I know I didn't put him there!

"No saying 'But I want it!' That's BAD!!!" he responded happily. Oh goodness that made me laugh so hard!

The past few weeks he's started saying "But I wuh-ANT it!" in the most horrible, drawn-out whiny voice possible. It became his automatic response any time he didn't get his way, or didn't get his way fast enough to satisfy his liking. He would repeat it OVER and OVER and OVER again until I'd be ready to scream. There would be no talking to him or trying to get him to explain what exactly it was that he wanted. I think of all the annoying things this kid has picked up in his almost three years on this Earth, this had to take the cake.

I don't know where he picked it up. The way he draws out the word "want" makes me think he did pick it up from somewhere, rather than coming up with it on his own. That particular speech pattern isn't used anywhere else for him. I'm guessing maybe it was on TV or a video he saw on my phone? Who knows. All I know is that this had to be nipped in the bud!

Now, if he says that phrase it's an immediate VERY EXTREMELY STERN warning. I'm talking the scary mom voice comes out! Say it a second time and you find yourself in time out. Keep saying it and you get a swat on the bottom. It receives the swiftest and most, well, I don't want to say severe but I guess serious reaction out of all the stuff he does, not including the ones that have the potential to cause harm to himself or others.

I guess the lesson is starting to sink in though, because he said it once while I was in the shower. He got the warning and fortunately he didn't say it again because I didn't want to get out and have to deliver soggy discipline! Apparently the reason why he didn't say it again was because he put himself in time out over it! HA!

As I was hiding behind the shower curtain trying to muffle my giggles, he looked over and asked if he could get up now. How could I say no to that? :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Katy Cameron said...

ROFL, what a shame adults can't do that to themselves...

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails