Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer Mantel

I think I have it how I like it now. I've been messing with it for a week now, off and on. I know it seems late for a summer themed mantel, but trust me - we have three and a half months more of it here still. I did a patriotic theme for the first half of the summer and that helps to break it up a little! This is how it will stay until it's time to prep for a fall/Halloween one.

I went with a loose "birthday" theme, since I'll be turning 34 in a month. Yikes dude. When did I get so old??? I still feel like I'm 27 I think. It's crazy! Ooh, that means I get to do a fantasy birthday wishlist soon though. Those are always fun. :) I found my starting off point (inspiration) here.

I filled this with things I like - old books, a vintage scale, a mercury glass votive, an old, ornate frame with a print of three quail that represents my little family, pretty flowers, and a colorful mini-bunting across the top of the chalkboard. Most of what you see here was thrifted, or found at a rummage sale, or found by my mom on one of her dumpster diving escapades. I think the only thing I bought new was the flowers, the moss covered rocks in the vase, and I made the bunting. The print is a picture I found online and just printed out at home. My husband bought the votive on clearance as a "just-because" gift. The quote is a Guatemalan proverb I found online.

You know I hunted for those moss covered rocks everywhere, for ages, only to find them at the freaking DOLLAR TREE??? Well, I guess that's not totally true. I did see them in a few other places but I wasn't going to pay $7 for them. I'm way too cheap! I considered trying to figure out how to make my own briefly but decided it would be too messy. I'm sure glad I decided to browse the other day when I stopped in!

So there you go. My mantel is set for the next few months!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Aw, I love it! Nicely done and Happy Birthday!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

It looks great, Sara. You do such a nice job with this kind of thing, and I love that you share it. The bunting is darling, and the quote is a lovely reminder.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails