Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Spring

Here in Arizona, it's been spring for a few weeks now. The weather is absolutely perfect right now - even a little warm at times. The temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees most days. This is the time that makes it worth suffering through those 115 degree days!

I had been looking for a hummingbird feeder for a long time. I didn't like the ones I was seeing in stores. If I was going to spend fifteen bucks on one, it had to be perfect, because I'm cheap like that, you know? Last time we were in Seattle we visited a friend on my father in law. She had the perfect feeder on her patio! I asked where she bought it, but unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to get one before we left. I was so bummed, and no other feeder would do after I saw that one.

Well, a month or two ago, I happened to come across two of those feeders at - where else? - Goodwill. They were only two bucks each, but I only brought home one. I could kick myself for that now, as I found the manufacturer information under the lid when I filled it yesterday. They retail for $23!!! Ah, well.

The hummingbirds don't seem to mind that there is just one. They come by all day long. Mostly they're the muted colored females, but every so often, there is a male out there. They're just the most brilliant red and green! I'm not a big fan of birds due to the mess they make, but I do like humming birds.

This feeder is awesome because it's shallow, doesn't hold too much so it won't get all nasty between fillings, and has plenty of perch space so the little birds can take a load off while they refresh themselves. I don't buy commercial nectar. It's a waste of money and the dye is not good for the birds. The red of the feeder is plenty to attract them. You just mix one part sugar with four part water until it's dissolved. The recipe is under the lid too in case you forget. Easy and cheap entertainment!

The boy and I were sitting out on the patio when I heard a weird buzzing by my head. I slowly turned and one was hovering not two feet from me! It was so cool. I had never seen one that close up before.

We bought some flowers yesterday and potted them this afternoon.

I just adore red geraniums in chippy terra cotta pots!

I put some yellow raunculus in a pot by the walkway. My mom found that pot. I saw it in the store for $15. Kick butt!

She also found this little garden cart. I spray painted it green and put a few small things on it. Bubba and I planted some flower seeds in the long pot on top. The bird I found at Goodwill and the stone frog I've had forever. I don't even remember where I found it.

We planted some strawberry plants in a pot. We'll see how they do, and if we'll be able to get any before the birds beat us to it. The smaller pot has some lavender seeds. We did two of those. I'm hoping they grow so I can make lavender lemonade!

I also de-Valentined the front entry table. Everything you see, with the exception of my sunglasses, came from Goodwill. Yup, even the eucalyptus in the silver vase! I just got the lamp last weekend because I was tired of coming home to the dark. It's milk glass! I just need to find a shade and spray paint the base. I also want to add some faux Easter eggs to the compote.

Slowly but surely I'm going to get back into the swing of things!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Ohhhh...we are so far away from this... I can't wait to have live plants again!

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails