Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's that time again!

Election time, where people's good sense and manners get tossed out the window!

Seriously. I remember last election, every other thread on Two Peas was a "red peas" vs. "blue peas" debate, and people were just nasty. The fights were knock down, drag out, and frequently, got personal. I just don't get it.

Today, at lunch, I had someone ask me for the first time this year who I planned on voting for. I told her the honest truth - I don't know. I don't know who the final candidates are going to be in the November election, and I don't really feel like putting in the time to research someone who isn't even going to be a contender.

She says, well, are you a democrat or a republican?

I'm neither.

She says, oh, then you're an independent?

Nope. I'm a big, fat NOTHING. Literally, there is a blank spot on my voter registration card under party affiliation.

She says, but why?

I don't believe in voting by party, I believe in voting by issues. I find if you label yourself, that makes it easier to get lazy and say, "I'm a _______ so I am voting for the ______ candidate" and then not look into the real issues.

Besides, I tell her, I wouldn't tell you if I did know because I don't believe it's polite to discuss religion or politics in mixed company.

You should have seen how people looked at me in the lunch room, like I had two heads or something. Is this a foreign concept these days? I have always read that is the rule, but apparently that etiquette tidbit has gone out the window with so much other stuff of it's kind in these modern times.

Shameful, really.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails