Thursday, June 25, 2009

So Sad

The radio, tv and internet are all reporting that Michael Jackson is dead at age 50. That's so sad, and it's really bothered me a bit more than I thought it would. The dj on the radio was having people call in and tell him one word that they felt described this man. Among the ones given were Icon, Legend, Pop (as in, The King Of), Music (because he contributed and influenced so much) and, unfortunately, Tabloids. I didn't even have to pause to think of what my word would be. By a strange bit of coincidence, my husband and I were watching an old Michael Jackson video on YouTube last night and actually had a short discussion about him. My word?

Tragic.

No other word can more adequately describe this man, with so much talent, who ended up at the end of his life the way he did. There are lots of talented folks in the world, don't get me wrong, but very few with as much as Michael Jackson. Yet, due to his life circumstances, fame at a very young age, an overbearing and abusive parent, and demons that he never really seemed to be able to conquer, the man who gave so much to modern pop music and who influenced so many ended up being merely a caricature of himself, a punchline, a perversion of the gifts he was given. That to me is pure tragedy.

Another radio DJ was having people call in to request their favorite Michael Jackson song. I feel like I am unable to join in on that one, because really, how can you pick a favorite? At first, I was thinking Shake Your Body but technically, that's The Jacksons so it wouldn't count. So then I decided to check my iTunes and see which one had the highest play count. The winner?




LOL, I don't know what that says about me, but there's a little bit of the King of Pop for you. In my mind, he died long ago.

May he rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I am so so so very sad. RIP Micheal :(

6:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs Anne said...

i will be sad for a long time.
he was the king of pop.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails