Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Grouchy Little Grouch

I'm totally wiped.

We took Sawyer over to our friend's house to watch football again today. Stupid me forgot to pack the nipples for the bottles (duh) so we had to make a stop at Target to buy new ones. Did you know that those fools will sell you the actual nipple part, but not the ring that holds it to the bottle? I was pretty irritated. We ended up having to buy a three pack of some stupid cheap bottles so that we could have nipples. I need to put together a checklist or something for future outings.

Fortunately, it wasn't a total wash, because I did find the CUTEST Christmas footie jammies. They're red and white striped and say My First Christmas on them. Since we use footie jammies a lot around here lately, I know we'll get plenty of wear from them in the next month.

Speaking of wear, Sawyer has started to outgrow clothes now. The miniature white side-snap tee shirts that he wore while his belly button was healing - too small. The cute dinosaur footie jammies that Auntie Cheryl bought him - both pairs stretched as far as they'll go, and pulling on his shoulders. I'm so sad, because they're really cute! I mean, it's great that I'm getting to pull some of the other fun stuff that we've bought and received as gifts out for him to wear, but I'm not ready to give up the cute stuff he's been wearing.

When we got home from football and a quick run to the grocery store (for both of which he was a complete angel) the child decided he needed to yell, so he did.

FOR AN HOUR. STRAIGHT.

We fed him. We changed him. We burped him. We made sure he wasn't too hot or too cold. We turned off all the lights except for a few lamps. We held him. We rocked him. We did the bicycle thing with his legs. He had just woken up when we got home so we didn't think he was tired. We let him just scream for a while. We talked to him. We (okay, I) sang. So it was the Meow Mix song. Sue me for not knowing any lullabies. I did it in a soft tone of voice, so he'll never be the wiser anyway.

Nothing was working. Nothing. We could not figure out what was wrong. Finally, after the longest hour on Earth where I am sure that something happened to the space time continuum and it was actually longer than an hour but the universe slowed down time or something...

He started to fall asleep. Hallelujah! My husband rocked him for bit more to be sure. Screw this "put them to bed drowsy, but not asleep" business, we weren't taking any chances. When it seemed like he was really, truly, honestly asleep, we put him down in the crib and held our breath. Thankfully, he stayed asleep.

I'm just glad he saved it for when we got home and he didn't try to subject all of our friends, the folks grabbing dinner at Rumbi, or the people at Safeway to that!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kingsqueen said...

You are totally right. It doesn't matter what songs you sing, as long as your tone is soothing. :)
I love that though, the Meow Mix song! LOL I haven't heard that in forever.
I always sang "You are my Sunshine" to my oldest. And for some reason I sang "Amazing Grace" to my little one.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

It's so sad when they outgrow their stuff isn't it? I got all sad cause my baby is getting big! It's silly though because it's so much fun as they get bigger.
I'm sure Meow Mix worked just fine. He doesn't know the difference! I don't know any lullabies either. A friend bought me Wee Sing cd's. I've got to bust those bad boys out and learn some baby songs!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

dude, i know the "just let them cry" thing is going to be the death of me. I have read the books, i know they're supposed to do it but damn, there is nothing more frustrating and annoying than a baby screaming for an hour! Good for you for getting through it.

L

11:48 AM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

Whew. Like you said, at least he saved it for home. A bit less stresful that way. Written highlights of this post: Meow mix song and space time continuum. :)Ever clever!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails