Friday, November 14, 2008

Cake Snob

I am a cake snob.

Well, I guess it applies to all baked goods, actually. I have this need for all baked goods that come out of my kitchen to not only look good and taste good, but to be made from scratch from the best ingredients I can afford. That means real butter, Scharffen Berger chocolate, and real vanilla extract, never imitation. My cakes must be tall, and level. You'll never see me serve a cake in the pan!

The thing is, this only applies to MY baked goods. I don't care what other people do. I will happily eat a cake out of a pan that someone else made. Cookies from a mix? Bring 'em on, as long as I didn't make them. Don't even get me started on my love for Little Debbie.

Here's where the quirk comes in:

I loooooove me some plain, yellow cake with chocolate frosting. The thing is that is HAS to be yellow cake from a box, with frosting from a can. A couple of times a year, I'll get a mean old craving for this, and then I have to go to the store and buy the stuff even though I have plenty of ingredients on hand to make many other kinds of better, nicer baked goods.

I've been thinking about this cake for a few days now, so I strapped the little man into his carrier and we walked to the grocery store (since I can't drive still) down the street. Grand total for this grocery bill: $2.74.

Quality indeed.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Susanne P. said...

my kids don't like this combo. they want chocolate. boogers!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

mmmm sounds good!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

I've said it before. I'll say it again. You're a good writer. Your words are very readable, and they always make me chuckle.

Cute post!

p.s. I am so with you on pure vanilla extract. Imitation will just not do!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought I was the only box-cake-with-frosting freak. There is just something so YUMMY about good 'ol Betty Crocker cake and frosting. Now I want to make one for myself too!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails