Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies

A few weeks ago my friend introduced me to the wonder that is the Oatmeal Scotchie.  It sounds cute, no?  Of course, when she told me what was in the cookie, I hesitated.

Butterscotch chips???

Um, pardon me, but YUCK.  I do not like butterscotch.  The idea of a butterscotch chip made me gag a little.  No way these could be good.  What a waste of an oatmeal cookie!

Then I tried one.  Holy moly, y'all.  These don't taste like you think butterscotch would taste.  Maybe it's the toffee bits in them.  Maybe the oatmeal and butter mask the flavor or change it somehow.  All I know is that she sent me home with almost two dozen and they were gone in a day and a half.  Even worse - I could NOT stop thinking about them and knew I had to make them at home.  

With one teensy change:  I decided that they needed chocolate chips.  Good, dark, 60% cocoa chocolate chips.  Mmm...


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract
3 cups uncooked rolled oats
2/3 cup butterscotch chips
2/3 cup toffee bits (I used these)
2/3 cup chocolate chips (I used these)

Directions:
*Preheat oven to 375F
*Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in a small bowl.  Set aside.
*Cream butter and sugars together until well combined.  Add eggs and vanilla; stir until combined.  Gradually add flour mixture.  Stir in oats, butterscotch chips, toffee bits, and chocolate chips just until combined.
*Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment or Silpats.  Bake 8 minutes.  Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

I'm linking to Hooking Up With House of Hepworths and A Night Owl Create and Inspire Party.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails