Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Bathroom

Yesterday I posted this photo as one of my 12 of Twelve.

This is my bathroom. I like to think of it as the Pink & Green Palace (complete with throne, HA!). This is the master bathroom. Since the master bedroom is my craft room, this is my bathroom. We have been in this house for a month how and it is the only room that was not moved into right away

You see that pattern on the wall? That's hand-painted folks. Many hours, leftover paint from the craft room, and a 1/3 inch paintbrush were involved. I saw this idea on Jones Design Company a few months back and knew that I had to try it somewhere in the new house. I've been loving the graphic, bold wallpapers that are in style lately but they're freaking expensive!!! Paint, time, and a steady hand and a landlord who gave us the green light to paint,were things I already had. I did fill in the template a little bit differently than she did though.

I even took the time to make sure the lines were even and lined up against that mirror. It's like the pattern just continues on! I bought the white cabinet at the Walmarts because I needed a little bit more storage. I couldn't hang the shelves that I had before over the toilet where they were in the apartment because of the mirror, and I didn't want open shelves to be the first thing you saw when you walked in. This looks nice and tidy!

I did change out the cheap plastic knobs that came with it. They were small, and ugly, and well, plastic. They made the whole thing look super cheap. I found some small glass knobs in my scrapbooking things and decided to use them instead. The only problem was that the screws were about a quarter inch too long so the knobs sagged. Solution?

I took a paint stir stick that had been used to stir the white paint for our base coat and used a coping saw to cut off small sections. Those pieces got holes drilled in them and then they were mounted to the inside of the cabinet to give the knobs the depth they needed to stay securely in place. As a final touch, I made a tassel from several different colors of pink and green embroidery floss and hung it from one of the knobs.

I tucked a couple of sheets of pink argyle scrapbook paper in the back of the open shelf. That, along with the pink hand towel, pink rug, and pink trash can bring in my beautiful bright pink.

Heres the view from the other corner. You can see my sink and vanity. I have a milk glass tumbler that holds my make up brushes ad pink votive candle holders from Ikea sorting out lip glosses. I love how my soap dispenser is just faintly green and has classic clean lines. There's a vinyl crown sticker up on the mirror.

I find it to be a good idea to keep paper towels in here Since there is a sink kind of in my craft room, it makes it so easy to can clean my paintbrushes. stamps, spills, makeup and brushes. There is a pink metal over the door hook from which my bathrobe hangs. Behind the door is a teeny wall. I used that to house a clock (cherry picked from the kitchen), my headbands, and most of my jewelry.

Ah... well, now we get to confession time. This a bathroom is not done. I have to finish this wall, obviously, as well as the wall over the window. Those are the only two I am going to do. I feel that going all around this whole small room with this huge design will just be overkill.

I really love my bathroom. I finally brought in all my bathroom stuff from the garage and unpacked it. I'm considering handing my pink and green Waverly shower curtain in front of the sliding glass doors just because it's pretty and adds to the decor. I also want to get one of those sets of wire baskets on a tension pole to stick in the corner. I like those better than the kind that hang over the shower head.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did an AMAZING job!!!! I love it!
~Sandy

1:30 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Very cute bathroom!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Sweet Simplicity said...

I LOVE the paint job!! It looks so good.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

WOW I LOVE IT! When are you coming over to do mine?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Such a happy looking place with many cute details!
My hubbie was as impressed with the wall painting as I was (he is in the decoration business).

4:08 PM  
Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

This looks amazing, you did a great job! I actually saw this technique in This Old House magazine too if you can believe it. Thanks for the linky though, much better directions on yours.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

Awesome Sara!!

10:46 PM  
Blogger emily said...

beautiful!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails