Wednesday, November 15, 2006

New York State of Mind

It's official!

I will be celebrating the holidays this year in the Big Apple! WOOT!

My mother in law (who, coincidentally, is the BEST mother in law EVAH) is flying us all out to New York for Christmas. I am so freaking excited, as NYC is one of the places I've always wanted to visit. It honestly sounds more exciting to me than Hawaii. Well, maybe because I've been to Hawaii, but that's not important.

What is important is that I am finally going to get to see all those places that I've read about in books and seen in movies and on T.V.!!! And how much fun to get to do it with my husband, mother in law, and sister in law! If my friend were there to act like a dork with me I'd truly be in heaven.

I've compiled a fantasy "to do" list for our vacation. It's only four days, so I doubt we'll get to the whole thing, so I've listed it in order of importance.

Times Square – Naked Cowboy
Statue of Liberty – stupid tourist hat/crown
Empire State Building
I *heart* NY tee shirts
Frozen Hot Chocolate @ Serendipity 3
Cupcakes @ Magnolia Bakery
Chinatown (knockoffs galore!)
Double Decker bus
Rockefeller Center – Ice Skating
Take the subway
Wall Street – Bull
Brooklyn Bridge
Staten Island Ferry
Central Park
Broadway ( I don't even care if I see a show, the street sign will do!)
Take a taxi
Trixie & Peanut (dog store)
H & M
Tiffany & Company
Flatiron Building
Bergdorf’s
Barney’s
Bloomingdale’s
Bendel’s (the four B's!)
Grand Central Station
Tom’s Diner - Seinfeld
Otto Tootsie Plohound (fabulous shoes)


Am I forgetting anything important? I don't really care about the Zoo, to tell the truth. Zoos are time eaters, and we are limited.

Can you believe it? Miss M in NYC!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

when are you going? I will be in New Jersey and New York from December 20-Janurary 5. maybe we will magically run into each other ;) you are going to have a blast! I have never seen the 'naked cowboy' before and I have been tons a times to NY..he must be hiding from me. lol

3:45 PM  
Blogger Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh wow, maybe my dd can help you out. She has been in NYC for the last two Thanksgivings. She was on the dance team in high school and made All-American junior and senior years. They get invited to dance in the Macy's parade.

I'll ask her to read your post and see if she can think of anything else. You've thought up a LOT, you're going to have so much fun!

aimes

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so cool! that is definately one of my must-see places, too. you are gonna have a great Xmas!

scrappincrazy

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you're in Grand Central Station, make sure you stop at Jr's CHEESECAKE!!! to DIE FOR!! If you could make it to the Brooklyn bakery, you'd get a better feel of the History, especially after standing in line for a while! Also, gotta do Greys Papaya or Papaya King!! Nothing like a frankfurter from there!!! There is just soo much to do in the city!! Times Square always had some awesome street vendors too!!! Hope you enjoy yourself! I know I always do!!
-Riprornfun (aka Terri)

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really want to ice skate, go to Wollman Rink in Central Park (it's the same one from the movie Serendipity) because the pictures are (IMHO) more awesome. Plus it tends to be mucho less crowded.

If you want to see a sold-out show, find out at the box office how many SRO tickets are available. Those will go on sale the morning of the show and 1 tkt per person in line can get one. You can't hold a spot or cut in line (everyone else will keep you in check) so once you find out, for example, that Lion King has 22 SRO tickets, if there are less than 22 people in line, you will get a ticket. We got in line at 8:15am for a box office opening of 9:45am and were 2nd in line (OK 2nd thru 4th in line). We paid $15 per person for sold out Lion King tickets. Yeah, you have to stand for 20 min or so, but then the ushers will let you sit in an open seat. Worth it if you're wanting to see a show and are low on $$.

If you'd rather actually have a seat and are not as picky about shows, get your same day tickets at usually 1/2 price at the TKTS booth. But go to the one in the South Street Seaport area because it opens earlier and there are ridiculously less tourists. Here is more info: TKTS ® Lower Manhattan Theatre Center at South Street Seaport ( the corner of Front and John Streets, the rear of the Resnick/Prudential Building at 199 Water Street )

Hours:

Monday - Friday 11:00am to 6:00pm
Wednesday matinee tickets are available on Tuesday ONLY

Saturday 11:00am to 6:00pm Saturday matinee tickets are available on Friday

And come talk to me for oodles more information. I am sooo excited for you and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Suzy

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sara I am soooo excited for you and a wee bit envious also! This sounds like soooo much fun!

I have to be honest I have had this crazy dream for like 15 years that I really want to spend one Christmas in NYC, just a few days like you're doing. I want to ice skate and see that giant Christmas tree, and snow, oh I miss snow.

Take lots of pictures!!! I'll live vicariously through you my dear!

Oh, maybe you should try for a taping of Regis and Kelly...Hmmm, maybe that's just my quirky little dream...hehehe.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails