Friday, April 15, 2011

I Can Play! WOO!

Last week during one of my Goodwill stops (I swear I'm not there every day, it just seems like that) I happened to come across some piano primers in the book section. I bought two from the same series that weren't too beat up. Unfortunately, I found the first book in the series but not the second, without which the other one I got makes no sense. I figured I'd try the first book, see if I liked it, and if I did, I'd buy the second one on eBay or something.

Did I mention it was geared toward five year olds? Hey man, I know absolutely nothing about reading music so I was starting from scratch here! I figured this way, I was getting a super dumbed down version that would still teach me, and if I couldn't figure that out, well then, maybe I shouldn't be playing piano. You know what I mean?

Well, it's been about a week, and here is where I am.



AWW YEAH! The woman can not only be taught, she can teach herself! HA! Sure, I'm only reading the very simplest sheet music, but the fact of the matter is that I can read it now, and I couldn't a week ago. You should hear me play Yankee Doodle and Jolly Old Saint Nicholas, hahaha! I feel triumphant, even though I'm clumsy, and even though I only understand this one octave, I understand it. I feel triumphant because I was told that you can't teach yourself piano, I feel triumphant because I set my mind to this and am actually doing it, and I feel triumphant because I am learning this new thing, this thing that I've wanted to learn for so long but was never able to do before.

Let this be a lesson to you - don't be afraid to try something new. Between the canning, the gardening, and now the piano, I am totally kicking butt this year at broadening my horizons and I am loving it!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Dang ... congrats! You rock!

6:56 PM  
Blogger BMT said...

Wow...I am so jealous of the piano and of your determination and your SUCCESS!!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Good job! Lies from whoever told you that you can't teach yourself. I'm pretty good, and am almost entirely self-taught (let's ignore the 25+ years of string playing, but yeah).

5:32 AM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

I think I have to stop reading your facebook updates. You know why? Because I saw your piano video there, and I watched it. So, I almost skipped over this post and didn't read what you wrote here. Except I didn't skip it, and I'm so glad. It was inspiring and fun to read. I found myself feeling so happy for you! I'm really proud of you Sara! The feeling of being triumphant is a rare and wonderful gift, and you're all over it! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your musical strides. It's a great feeling to be in a place where you're growing, satisfied, prideful, accomplished, engaged, and inspired. Enjoy it!!

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails