Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tortellini!

Yesterday I posted about some of the felt food that I made. I used online tutorials for most of them, so I didn't bother taking photos of the process, but I did figure out the tortellini on my own. They're so ridiculously easy and they look so cute!

Did you know that tortellini lore says they were invented when some lovesick Italian guy wanted to make a pasta shape to pay homage to his lover's navel? Kinda gross, when you consider these are usually filled with cheese.

But I digress!

First, cut yourself some two inch by two inch squares of yellow felt. Cut one for each tortellini.

Next, apply a thin bead of hot glue along one edge, roughly 1/8" from the edge.

Fold the square at a diagonal and seal the edge shut. The more neatly you align the edges, the better your finished product will look.

Next, take a small wad of stuffing (I use Poly Fil because it's cheap) and shove it in there. You don't want a lot, or to have it too tight, because you still need to fold this some more.

Put another thin bead of hot glue along the open edge to seal it shut. If you get any glue that squeezes out, like I did, just cut it off with some sharp scissors before moving to the next step.

Fold up the bottom about half an inch and hold it in place with one finger.

Next, fold over the left corner.


Put a dab of hot glue on the end.

Then fold over the other corner. Ta da!

Tortellini! Now, let's discuss if it's actually called Tortellini or Tortelloni. I've always wondered. (For the record, spell check says tortellini is correct)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggi said...

I grew up spelling it tortellini, but I've seen a lot of places where tortelloni is used. Hm. It's quite the mystery.

I neeeed to start making felt food for Jenna, so she stops trying to go into the cupboard to get things for her play kitchen. What kind of kitchen did you get Bubba? Was it IKEA?

8:07 AM  
Blogger cortney mae said...

HI I found you through the blog hop! I am new to sewing and love your blog! You have some cute ideas!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Paula - Buenos Aires said...

One I know! ;) Tortelloni are big tortellini. While the most usual filling for the smaller one is some kind of meat (chicken is the most popular) and vegetables, the bigger ones are filled with ricota cheese,spinach and sometimes nuts.

9:48 PM  
Blogger SplendidlyImperfect said...

Now see, Paula that makes perfect sense!

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails