Monday, March 15, 2010

Make Your Own Monogrammed Note Cards

Last week I had a few thank you cards that I needed to mail out. Normally, I pull out all my scrapbooking stuff and make really elaborate cards when I need one, but I just wasn't feeling up to it that day. Instead, I decided to make a simple embossed note card.

First, you're going to need an envelope. You can make your own envelopes, if you are so inclined, but I am lazy. That means I buy my envelopes at the Walmarts. I like to buy plain white ones that will go with everything. I got this box of 50 for just a few bucks and it will last me a while.

Now, go ahead and take out a sheet of cardstock. It can be textured if you like (mine was) but just remember, lighter colors do work better for this.

Fold it in half, then use a bone folder to really flatten the fold and make it crisp. Cut the folded cardstock so that you have a card that is 1/4 inch smaller than your envelopes. My envelopes were 4 3/4" by 6 1/2" so I cut my card to 4 1/2" by 6 1/4". Just remember not to cut off the side with the fold!


The next thing you're going to want to do is find yourself a piece of thin chipboard. It can be part of a cereal box, the back of a notepad - it doesn't really matter. It's going to be a tool and not part of your finished project.

Cut the chipboard one half inch smaller on each edge than the dimensions of your card. Since my card was 4 1/2" by 6 1/4", I cut my chipboard to 3 1/2" by 5 1/4".

Now you need to find a letter to make into your monogram. It's best to look for something that is as close to one piece as possible. You also don't want anything too fancy or delicate, because you are going to cut it out. I just printed my initial in a font I liked (Two Peas Tiger Tails) and cut it out. I then traced it onto the center of the chipboard. You could also use a letter sticker.

Bust out your X-Acto knife and start cutting!

Now take your chipboard template and center it on your card front. I used a couple of Hermafix Vario tabs to hold it in place temporarily. You can also use doubled over scotch tape if you like. It just helps if you're able to keep it from moving!

For the next step you're going to need an embossing stylus, and either a light box or a sunny window. Open up your card and lay the side with the chipboard against your light source. See how the light shines through the card stock, but not through the chipboard? This tells you where to emboss. Start by tracing your design lightly using the embossing stylus. Don't press hard on the first pass or you will crack your card stock, resulting in a cruddy looking card!

After you've gone over it once, including tracing around the edge of the card stock, go ahead and trace it again, pressing a bit harder this time.

You can see on this one where I pushed too hard on my first pass and it's a bit uneven. After you make your chipboard template, these cards take almost no time at all to make. I made a few extras to have on hand just in case I ever need one really quick. I also saved my template so I can make more if the need arises.

Don't be limited by a monogram either - if you're up to the cutting, you can do designs, greetings - it's really up to you!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a great simple idea! I love it! It's classic but still unique. Thanks for the tutorial!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Devon said...

Those are great, thanks for the idea and the step by step!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

A how to!! It's so nice that you took the time to share this GREAT IDEA!! I love it. I read this the other day ... and was first lost after embossing stylus ... until I realized that it isn't such a complicated tool to find, buy or use. I love the idea and will be putting it on my crafting to do list, for sure. Thank you for sharing this!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Great idea! I don't have an embossing stylus, but have another "tool" that I might be able to use. Have to try this and get back to paper from fabric!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails