Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stuck.

You see this?

THAT, my friends, is my December Daily. The one that I was making for myself.

Yes, you would be correct if you reminded me (gently!) that it's already halfway through February. You would also be correct if you noticed that it seemed a bit... incomplete. You wouldn't be out of line if you wondered WHY it was in such a sad state, this far into the new year.

I can tell you the answer to that. It's because I suck, that's why.

This is where the "imperfect" part of Splendidly Imperfect comes in. This would be a "keeping it real" post! After all the whirlwind of Christmas and all of the December crafting frenzy, I just needed a break. I told myself that I was just going to take January off and not do ANYTHING. Obviously, if you've been with me for any length of time, you know that I don't really seem to be capable of doing that. I ended up embroidering dishtowels and knitting dishrags. I just need a creative outlet, I guess.

This book is almost done. Some pages need numbers still, some need journaling, and I need to print the photo for the 31st. Oh, and it needs a cover. So why have I not just buckled down and gotten the dang thing done?

Because I don't want to, is the easy answer. I keep thinking of all these fun projects I want to do. I want to make cloth napkins! I want to make that old dress I got at Goodwill into a skirt! I want to make a St. Patrick's Day bunting for my living room mirror! I want to get started on scrapbooking the baby's first year! I want to embroider more dishcloths! I want to make the baby an art smock so we can try fingerpainting! I want to make myself a new apron for fun!

Then there is the stuff that I NEED to do. I need to finish my sister/future brother in law's quilt. I need to make a gratitude album for my mother in law. I need to bake my neighbor the banana bread I promised her weeks ago. I need to make my sister in law's bridal bouquet. I need to get back into baking bread for us to have here in the house.

But I haven't done any of those things, because I told myself that I wouldn't start new project until I finished my old ones. Right now, that happens to be the December Daily album. There's a reason Ali Edwards tells you to premake all your pages - if you don't you end up spending way too much time thinking about them instead of just documenting your story and getting it done. I was a dope and was making them as I went along, then totally got behind as crunch time hit around Christmas.

There are only a couple hours of work left in this so it's totally stupid that it's not done and that it's keeping me from moving on to stuff I want to do. I guess I'm just uninspired and that's making me avoid it. Instead I've been reading blogs. I'll find an interesting one and read it ALL the way back to the beginning. I just keep it open in a tab and refer back to it here and there. So, if you have analytics and you're wondering who this freak is who has been camped out on your site for a week, um, Hello!

I'm starting to find that not doing the creative stuff is starting to affect me in other ways too. I've totally slowed down on my dishcloths. Where I was doing one a night now it's taking me a WEEK to finish one. I haven't been doing my chores as effectively. I'm cooking less. I'm just not motivated in general and I think this has a lot to do with it.

Therefore, I am stating here that I WILL finish that dang album by the end of the week. Then, I will make the book for my mother in law, and my sister in law's bouquet so I can get that in the mail. Hopefully those will happen next week. After that, my reward for finally getting those tasks out of the way will be that I get to make my napkins.

Hooray for that. :)

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Samara Link said...

Deep breaths are in order. You are so productive at home, and you have been doing so much that is new, creative, domestic, and otherwise adorable. You probably just got a little burnt out on it. That's okay! I think a little credit is due for how motivated you have been. You've been cranking stuff out at an awesome level.

Blogs are a great way to make yourself accountable, huh? Putting your intentions out there is a powerful thing. That's cool.

It sounds like you have a plan, and it's not like you asked for any opinions. But I'm offering mine anyway. :) You're imposing your rule on yourself that you won't start anything new until you finish it. Maybe that's not necessary. If you write a list of exactly what your December Daily needs, and you put it aside for a couple weeks, then you can do the things you're inspired to do ... or not. Maybe all you need to do to get re-energized about your to do list is to change it up for a few days with a walk or something different.

Anyway, December Daily or not, I've been so impressed with all the things you've been doing -- crafts, meals, etc. You really are sticking with your overall plan for the year to be more domestic and rock the job you have. I've really enjoyed reading about your journey and seeing all your output. It's awesome!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

I guess I have a lot to say. :)

Just saw a quote I thought you might like ...

“Your mind, while blessed with permanent memory, is cursed with lousy recall. Written goals provide clarity. By documenting your dreams, you must think about the process of achieving them.”

8:41 AM  
Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

ITA with the above poster!

btw - I just throw an old tshirt of mine on Samantha. The sleeves are so long they are like longsleeves on her and I don't care if she gets paint or whatever on it. Maybe a short term solution for you? You can get to that smock later?

Give yourself credit for all the things you have gotten done! You'll get the december daily album done eventually. :)

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I do the same with blogs! lol

The smock is a good idea, but if you are bogged down with things to do and don't want to wait to try the fingerpainting, you can just leave your son nakey. And then throw him in the bath.

Ikea also has wonderful long sleeved smocks for very cheap ($3 or so). Of course, that will not assuage your need to create, but they are cute, comfortable and useful.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails