Saturday, May 23, 2009

It's a Sign!

Since before I had the baby, I knew I wanted to teach the baby some sign language.  I've read that babies can sign way before they can speak, and it helps to reduce toddler meltowns a bit because it gives them an extra tool to communicate, thereby reducing the frustration which is the cause of most toddler meltdowns.  

Unfortunately, we're kind of scatterbrained around here, and we haven't been really consistent with teaching the baby any signs.  I do it when I remember, but mostly it's been "mom," "dad," and "milk."  Yeah, I suck.

Or at least, I thought I did.

Wednesday afternoon, after I gave Bubba his lunch, I brought out his bottle and asked him if he wanted some milk, while doing the sign for milk.  He got all excited when he saw it, like he usually does.  He kind of does this screamy grunt and gets really agitated and reaches out for it.  I noticed that he was opening and closing his fist on one hand, but very loosely.  My husband was working from home that day, and I commented that it sort of looked like he was signing "milk" but we decided that we really couldn't be sure.

Today, we had playgroup.  When we got home, I sat Bubba in his chair so I could fix him some lunch.  When I came out into the living room holding his bowls of food, he got really excited, and then I saw it - that little hand in the air, opening and closing over and over again.  There was no mistaking it this time:

My child was saying "DAMMIT, FEED ME WOMAN!!!"

I'm so proud.  :)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

YAY!! That's REALLY exciting. We've been lax with our signing too. I don't know if she'll ever get it!

4:12 AM  
Blogger BMT said...

I was lax too...but I did have the baby einstien video that does signing...my son is 5 and still remembers the signs!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Mrs Anne said...

Bubba is so smart! :) i love it!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

That's awesome!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails