Thursday, June 09, 2011

Mah New $3 Poster

I have had this print hanging in my bedroom for the last decade or so. Needless to say, I'm a bit tired of it. I still think it's pretty, but I needed something new.

The other night when I was at JoAnn, I picked up two large sheets of Canson drawing paper. They have a bunch of different colors, so I went with this nice light blue. It was $2.99 a sheet, but it was also on sale for 50% off that day.

You know what I do have a lot of at home? Scrapbooking supplies. I buy white cardstock by the ream at Staples so it's really cheap. I pulled out my Silhouette (which is the old model that looks like the Wishblade on the Xyron site) and my Xyron and got to work.

By far, the absolute worst part of this project was feeding all of the stupid little cardstock letters into that sticker maker machine. If I did this again, I'd buy some of that nice cardstock that already has the adhesive on the back.

Just kidding. I'm too cheap for that! HA!

The font used in the first line is called Brody, and the font used in the body is called Pea Laura, from Kevin and Amanda's Fonts for Peas. I love her fonts, and I love that she shares them for free too.

Here's what the frame looks like now:

I first saw this little quote on Lindsay's blog a while back. Since then I've seen it all over, and especially on Pinterest. It really is sweet. I put a little red heart at the end. It reads:

In this house...
We do second chances
We do grace
We do real
We do mistakes
We do sorry
We do loud - really well
We do hugs
We do family
We do love.

We have vaulted ceilings here at Casa de Fehling. From what I've heard, builders like them because they are cheaper to put in than standard ceilings (they use less material) but they can charge a premium for them because people think they give a room a more open feel. I think they give a room a more crooked feel and are a pain in the butt to clean, but hey, that's just me.

As a result, I have a rather large area over my cabinets for goodness knows what that I'm struggling to decorate. (We won't even discuss the stupid pot shelves in the living room. UGH.) I put my new poster up there along with a mirror that I scored for a buck at the Goodwill. It was a horrible shade of hunter green but a little acrylic paint took care of that. I also put my $5 vintage scale up there. It was white, but again, a little spray paint will do wonders. I topped that off with a $1 piece of vintage Pyrex. The stack of three milk glass compotes were all purchased for under $5, with the largest, as well as the big basket to the left, being gifts from my friend Suzy the Auction Queen.

I kinda like it. It brings a shot of much needed color to that plain chocolate brown wall. Hooray cheap decorating!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger how i met your father blog said...

wow - this is so neat!! i loved the saying when i first saw it (on pinterest of course!) and love how you incorporated it into your home!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

Sara, this is awesome. I saw it on facebook the other day but am just getting around to reading about it and seeing the details here. You are so damn good -- so creative, so clever, so thrifty. You impress me every day! Nice work!!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails