Saturday, November 08, 2008

If it's not one freaking thing

It's another, right? But first, this was the scene at my house when I got up this morning:

They're both sound asleep. My husband was sawing logs. He had been up all morning with Mr. Grouchypants who decided to pull that cry for 5 minutes/be happy for 5 minutes/repeat for two hours business again. As awful as it is to say, I'm glad he doesn't just do it to me, because if he was all sunshine and light for my husband and a pill for me, I think I'd be crying too.

About the time I came out into the living room, he had just gotten Sawyer to fall asleep on the floor of all places, so we decided to leave him there. After my husband woke up with the dog's butt on his chin, he moved over closer to the baby:

Of course, Leila my little cone head had to join them. She's been scratching her ear (due to her stupid allergies, the steroids arent' working as well anymore) so I put the cone on her so it would be able to heal.

That's right, we're all a mess here.

So what's wrong with me? Well, I got up to pump in the middle of the night, and I had a wicked headache. I didn't think too much of it. Then, when I got up in the morning, the headache was worse, and my right breast felt sore on the bottom. Strange, but no biggie. Then we went to Target and the grocery store. I was feeling slightly woozy and off somehow. Very tired too, but I've been tired lately. My breast was feeling worse too, almost like a really bad bruise all along the bottom half. When my husband turned around a corner, causing it to press into the carseat and I yelped in pain, I knew I had a problem.

When we got home, I pulled out my breastfeeding book and started looking for answers. I think I might have mastitis. I've been going longer between pumping in an attempt to slow my supply a bit. The book says that's bad, because the longer the milk is in there the thicker it gets, and can cause things to get stopped up and inflamed. Oops. It also says not to lay on your stomach or very far over on your side where your breast will be compressed between your body and the mattress. Guess how I sleep, and how I've been sleeping lately since I was so excited to physically be able to after so many months? Oops.

Achy? Check. Running a low fever? Check. Chills? Check. Not napping/resting during the day? Check, and really not sleeping much at night either. Basically, everything the book said I could do to cause this problem I've inadvertently done to myself. I tried taking a nap this afternoon, but how are you supposed to rest and avoid stress when you have a newborn screaming his fool head off in the next room? I just kinda laid there on my back (uncomfortable, BOO!) for an hour and a half.

My breast hurts so bad now. It's spread to the top side and it hurts it to lift my right arm. It feels like I slammed the thing in a door. I can totally see why people give up on breastfeeding, I really can. This SUCKS. I took an ibuprofen left over from my surgery, so hopefully that will help a bit. If it is still hurting on Monday I'm calling the doctor.

Grr. I'm hanging on to today's triumph of saving $40 on a $52 food bill, and the fact that the baby slept through Target AND Fry's thanks to the carrier. Gotta stay focused on the positive.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Devon said...

aw honey, I had mastitis 2 weeks after having Jacob. I remember, it was horrible! Call your dr, you will need a prescription, they should be able to just call it in for you.
Good luck! Hope you are feeling better soon. Those pics are too cute!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Creative Junkie said...

OUCH OUCH OUCH.

You poor thing! I hope you get better soon.

And I just have to say ... those photos are so stinkin' adorable.

10:10 PM  
Blogger kingsqueen said...

Ow! Yes, do what Devon said. Call your doctor and get them to call you something in. Surely they've got someone on call. Sorry you're in pain, and hope you are feeling better soon.
Love the pictures. And awesome job on the money saving!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Ouch! That sounds awful. Call the dr as soon as you can. Good luck.

I hear you with the frustrations of nursing. I'm getting to the end of my patience also. At least your hubby can help you with the nightly feedings since you pump. I need to do that for dh. I'm tired of being the only one up all night!

btw - dog butt picture - hysterical!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Kim Kwan said...

hello, mastitis. yes, it SUX ass!
get to a doctor ASAP...it can get ugly.

for pain, try this: dampen a clean baby diaper (yes, the disposables) with water and nuke it for a few seconds (20-30?) then kinda wrap it around your breast. Seriously....it helps! Best moist/heat pack around!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Awww gosh, mastitis is awful, just downright horribly painful. Do see if a doctor, mastitis can knock you on your arse! Hope you're feeling better today. Ibuprofen, hot showers, heating pad.

I hear ya on the tummy sleeping, I could not wait to sleep that way again...awwww heaven!

The dog butt picture seriously made me LOL, so much so I snorted!

3:18 PM  
Blogger emily said...

Feel better! Those pictures are so cute...

3:28 PM  
Blogger justem said...

Um....OUCH.
The photos are adorable! It it cracks me up that you used "sawing logs" in your post...I once posted a funny story about that!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Samara Link said...

Yes, there are some good things in there, including your husband is trying to help (as he should) and you're learning as you go. You've got to give yourself credit for that stuff, too. But my land, you guys have a few things going on! I hope you can get more comfortable soon. I'm sure some good, solid sleep would help. Sawyer is lucky to have such a kind, patient mom. You're doing great. Hang in there!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails